Smoking Prevalence Rates

The cumulative effect of Ireland’s tobacco control legislation to date has been a decrease in the number of people smoking. The results of Healthy Ireland survey published in 2015 found that 19% of the population (aged 15 and over) smoke on a daily basis.

A further 4% identify themselves as occasional smokers.  Overall, 8% of children report they currently smoke, which is a decrease from 12% in 2010.