Statement by Minister for Health Simon Harris at the Healthcare Leaders Masterclass 2016
Minister Harris spoke today at the Healthcare Leaders Masterclass 2016 – “Building a Better Health Service: Care, Compassion, Trust and Learning”.
At one of his first public engagements as Minister for Health, Minister Harris paid tribute to the staff working in the health services who do exemplary work in sometimes difficult circumstances.
Minister Harris emphasised his wish to implement a decisive shift of the health service to primary care, with the delivery of primary care in every community, and confirmed that Government will request an Oireachtas All-Party committee to develop a single long-term vision for healthcare over a 10 year period.
Speaking at the event, Minister Harris outlined the new Government’s commitment to important health initiatives, including:
· Enacting the Public Health (Alcohol) Bill
· Making Ireland Tobacco free by 2025 (less than 5% of the population smoking)
· Implementing a national physical activity plan, a national obesity plan and a sexual health strategy
· Putting in place a programme to improve the quality of food in our hospitals
· Resources will be set aside each year to reduce waiting lists with the funding targeted, in particular, at those most urgent cases and those who have been waiting longest.
Read Minister Harris’ speech at the link below.
Speech by Minister for Health Simon Harris at the Healthcare Leaders Masterclass 2016