Statement by Department of Health and Children – Prescription charges
The Department of Health & Children today (23rd August, 2010) confirmed that a 50c charge, announced in Budget 2010, will be introduced on 1 October next in respect of each prescription item dispensed to medical card holders.
The Department, the Health Service Executive and the Irish Pharmacy Union are working in close collaboration to put in place the necessary arrangements for the implementation of the charges.
The total charge per family per month is capped at €10 and the HSE will put in place a refund system in order to refund families who exceed the €10 monthly ceiling.
Prescription Charges will not apply to :
- Children in the care of the HSE who have their own medical card. This includes children in residential care, foster care, foster care with relatives and other care placements:
- The Long Term Illness Scheme;
- The Drugs Payment Scheme;
- Persons who receive services under the Health (Amendment) Act 1996;
- Or to methadone supplied to patients participating in the Methadone Treatment Scheme.