Press Release

Minister Lenihan opens Bright Horizons Early Childhood Care and Education Centre

Mr Brian Lenihan T.D., Minister for Children, today (25 September 2002) opened an Early Childhood Care and Education Centre called Bright Horizons for IBM in Blanchardstown College, Business and Technology Park.

The Minister complimented IBM Ireland who provided funding for the Centre. The Cente will provide year round, quality childcare for over 120 infant, toddler and pre-school children and after-school and holiday care for school-age children. Speaking of the critical importance of the early years of the child, the Minister said: “We must remember that we are the designers of our children’s tomorrows and we should recognise the enormity of this challenge”.

Priority enrolment for up to 80% of places will go to children of the company´s employees with the remaining 20% of places being offered to the wider community. The Minister spoke of the uncompromising commitment to excellence of Bright Horizons Family Solutions, who will manage this service.

The Minister also referred to the Government´s commitment to the development of childcare with €437m being provided through the Equal Opportunities Childcare Programme of the Department of Justice Equality and Law Reform for this purpose.

“Quality in childcare is an evolving process as new standards, learning and understanding are developed and we want to take this on board”, said the Minister referring to the review of the Child Care (Pre-School) Services Regulations, 1996 which is currently underway led by the Department of Health and Children.