Minister for Health Dr James Reilly T.D. welcomes the report of the Review Group – National Children’s Hospital
The Minister for Health Dr James Reilly T.D. today (8th June, 2012) received the report of the Review Group on the National Children’s Hospital from the Chairman Dr Frank Dolphin.
The Minister welcomed the report when he met with Dr Frank Dolphin and the members of the group at Leinster House today.
The Minister said that he wanted to thank the Chairman and the members of the Group for their huge effort, dedication and commitment in delivering this important report in such a short timeframe.
The Minister said that he echoed the sentiments of the Chairman in praising the team.
The Minister said ‘The National Children’s Hospital is a strategic project for our health services and for this country. What greater investment in our nation’s future then in the wellbeing of our children. It is desperately needed for sick children and their families. I am determined to deliver a world class hospital for the children of Ireland providing the highest quality treatment they deserve. I made sure that the composition of this group had the expertise, calibre and independent minded approach needed to provide the Government with impartial expert opinion. I now look forward to considering the report and will be bringing it to Government shortly’.
The Review Group, chaired by Dr Frank Dolphin, was appointed in March 2012 by the Minister for Health, Dr James Reilly, T.D., to consider the implications of the decision of An Bord Pleanála in February 2012 to refuse planning permission for the proposed new children’s hospital on a site at Eccles Street, Dublin 7. The Group had its first meeting on 29 March. It was to report within 56 days but this was extended by a further 14 days because of the workload involved. The Group received over 30 site offers.
Membership of the Review Group:
- Dr Frank Dolphin (chair)
- Mr Simon Clear
- Mr Michael Collins
- Professor Jonathan Hourihane
- Professor B.G. Loftus
- Mr John Martin
- Professor Clodagh O’Gorman
- Ms Louise Shepherd
- Professor Owen Smith
Terms of Reference of the Review Group
- To inform itself about the planning considerations and processes affecting this project.
- To consider the different options which now exist for progressing the construction of a national children’s hospital having regard to:
- Government policy on the delivery of health services, including accessibility and paediatric services in particular and best clinical practice considerations
- the cost and value for money considerations of the different options,
- the likely timelines associated with the different options,
- the implementation risks associated with the different options
- To advise him, in the light of these considerations, on the appropriate next steps to take with a view to ensuring that a national paediatric hospital can be constructed with minimal delay.
- To report to the Minister within 56 days of the first meeting of the group.