Minister Cowen launches strategy statement
Working for health and well-being is the title of the new Strategy Statement for the Department of Health and Children, which was launched today by Minister Brian Cowen, T.D. Prepared in accordance with the requirements of the Public Service Management Act, 1997 and laid before the Houses of the Oireachtas today, the Strategy sets out a detailed work programme for the Department for the next three years.
Working for health and well-being identifies key areas for priority attention by the Department over the period 1998-2001. These priorities reflect the Government’s objectives for healthcare as outlined in An Action Programme for the Millennium, and they include:
- Further development of services for children;
- Measures to enhance food safety and the safety of blood products;
- The development of integrated strategies in relation to cardiovascular disease, cancer and accidents;
- An increased focus on services for older people;
- Further development of services for persons with a mental handicap; and
- Progressing structural and administrative reform in the health services.
Launching the Strategy Statement, the Minister said
“It is clear that the Department of Health and Children faces a number of very challenging tasks in a wide range of areas over the coming months and years. I believe that this Strategy Statement will be a useful resource, both for the Department itself and for the wider health services and the general public, in increasing awareness of how the Department views its work”.