Minister announces the establishment of Coronary Heart Attack Ireland Register (CHAIR) National Steering Group
The Minister for Health and Children, Micheál Martin, T.D., today (14 October 2001) announced the establishment of a National Steering Committee to develop a hospital based heart attack register – Coronary Heart Attack Ireland Register (CHAIR). As part of the implementation of the Cardiovascular Health Strategy – Building Healthier Hearts – a pilot project of CHAIR has been set up in the Southern Health Board region. It is envisaged that the pilot will run for one year and following its evaluation a hospital based heart attack register will be established nationally.
The National Steering Group under the Chairmanship of Dr Peter Kearney, Consultant Cardiologist will have responsibility for the management of the CHAIR project at National Level. Its terms of reference include;
- agreeing the scope of the data to be gathered,
- agreeing the mechanism for the collection of this data,
- agree the terms for monitoring outcomes and criteria for evaluating the pilot project,
- taking account of appropriate international data sets and developments relevant to the CHAIR project, and
- advising on the national roll-out of the CHAIR project to all health boards, assuming its successful implementation according to agreed criteria in the Southern Health Board during the pilot phase
The CHAIR developments in the immediate term will be cognisant of the National Health Information Strategy, and recognise that it will be required to conform to structures and guidelines developed on foot of its recommendations in the longer term.