Minister announces commencement of further provisions of the Public Health (Tobacco) Acts 2002 and 2004
Ms Mary Harney, T.D., Minister for Health and Children has decided to commence further provisions of the Public Health (Tobacco) Acts 2002 and 2004.
- ban on all in-store/point-of-sale advertising of tobacco products,
- ban on the display of tobacco products in retail premises,
- introduction of a closed container / dispenser provision
- tighter controls on the location and operation of tobacco vending machines,
- introduction of a retail register.
The introduction of these measures will have practical implications for retailers, distributors and manufacturers. In this regard submissions are invited from interested parties in relation to the timescale for the commencement of these provisions. Submissions in relation to the specific measures will not be considered, as the measures have already been enacted in legislation.
Notices of the consultation will be placed in the National Press on Friday October 5th 2007, setting out the Minister’s intentions and inviting views on the run in period. Closing date for receipt of submissions will be 5.30pm on Friday 16th November 2007.