Martin announces investment for Monaghan General Hospital / Cavan General Hospital
Michéal Martin TD, Minister for Health and Children met with the North Eastern Health Board last night (September 28th). Commenting Minister Martin said Officials of the North Eastern Health Board and medical representatives in the North East met with my officials and I last night, following a very productive meeting, it was agreed to progress the following measures as a matter of urgency;
- 24 hour / 7 days medical cover to be restored to Monaghan General Hospital
- Five NCHD’s (Junior Doctors) to be recruited immediately for Monaghan General Hospital – cost €750,000 in full year
- A larger Emergency Room to be opened on a 24 hour / 7 days basis at Monaghan General Hospital from the beginning of February. The Contractor is about to begin construction (contract signed) next week and the project will take approximately 16 weeks. The revenue cost for this will be approximately €1 million a year
- Ten additional beds under bed capacity coming on stream immediately at Monaghan General Hospital
- The provision of a CAT scan at Monaghan General Hospital
- Three surgical posts for the joint Departments of Surgery (Cavan / Monaghan) have been approved by the Department of Health and Children and are currently awaiting Comhairle na nOspideal approval. This is to progressed as a matter of urgency
- Selective elective surgery will be performed at Monaghan General Hospital. The RCSI (Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland) will draw up the protocols.
- 19 additional beds are to be provided at Cavan General Hospital – 15 of those beds will be medical and 4 will be high dependency beds.
- Capital funding will be provided to allow for some relocation within the hospital to accommodate the additional beds.
Concluding Minister Martin welcomed the progress and acknowledged the work of the Steering Group and the efforts of the local Fianna Fáil public representatives and Independent TD Paudge Connolly. Minister Martin urged all parties to continue to work together for the future of the Cavan / Monaghan Hospital Group.