Changes to the Board of the HSE
The Minister for Health Dr James Reilly has today (Friday, 16th March, 2012) announced a series of changes to the Board of the HSE. The announcement involves the appointment of three new board members and one departure.
New to the board is Mr Jim Breslin, Secretary General of the Department of Children and Youth Affairs. This appointment will allow for the crucial area of the care of children to be represented by the top official of the new Department.
Ms Frances Spillane, Assistant Secretary, National Human Resources and Professional Regulation Division in the Department of Health, also joins the board bringing a range of valuable experience as the health services deal with issues including the change programme.
Mr Tony O’Brien, the Chief Operating Officer of the Special Delivery Unit will replace Dr Martin Connor on the board. As a key new unit in the health services, its perspective at the board table is of great value.
Minister Reilly has also decided to ask Mr Brian Gilroy to remain on the board despite his departure from the HSE. Mr Gilroy, formerly the HSE ‘National Director, Integrated Services – Reconfiguration’ has now moved to a new role in RTE. However, as his replacement has yet to be appointed in the HSE, his expertise and experience will be an asset in reaching decisions at board level.
The new appointments are temporary in nature as the Government moves to introduce new legislation to establish a new Directorates structure in the HSE. The Directorate structure – putting in place a Director General and 6 other Directors, overseeing seven specific lines of service – will also see the abolition of the HSE Board.
The remaining board members are as follows: –
- Mr. Michael Scanlan, Chairman and Secretary General, Department of Health,
- Mr. Cathal Magee, Chief Executive Officer, HSE
- Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health
- Mr. Paul Barron, Assistant Secretary, Primary Care & Eligibility Division, Department of Health
- Ms Bairbre NicAongusa, Assistant Secretary, Finance, Performance Evaluation, Information, EU International, Research & Resource Allocation Division, Dept of Health
- Dr. Barry White, HSE National Director, Clinical Strategy & Programmes
- Dr. Philip Crowley, HSE National Director, Quality & Patient Safety
- Ms. Laverne McGuinness, HSE National Director, Integrated Services – Performance & Financial Management