Callely keeps older people to the fore
Mr Ivor Callely, T.D., Minister of State at the Department of Health and Children, while attending the annual dinner of the Council on Ageing and Older People praised the work of the Council, whose contribution in respect of all issues relating to Older People is highly valued.
The Council is currently engaged in research and other initiatives relating to
- ageism in the health and social care services;
- social isolation and loneliness;
- social inclusion measures for older people being undertaken at the local level;
- population projections;
- analysis of current relevant datasets to establish the adequacy of information on the older population and the ageing of the population;
- secondary data analysis of the 1998 and 2002 SLAN databases;
- a range of health promotion initiatives designed to promote healthy ageing, with a particular emphasis this year on safety issues, including falls prevention, and
- a series of publications and events relating to the above and other issues.
The Minister said he would be working strongly during the Irish Presidency of the EU to give top priority at National and European level to older people.