Appointments to the Medical Scientists Registration Board
The Health and Social Care Professionals Council is an independent regulator established to protect the public by promoting high standards of professional conduct and professional education, training and competence amongst registrants of the 14 designated health and social care professions. Medical Scientists are one of the designated professions. The Council, its disciplinary committees and the registration boards (known under the umbrella name CORU) were established under the Health and Social Care Professionals Act 2005.
The Minister for Health will shortly be establishing the Medical Scientists Registration Board under the Act to regulate medical scientists practising in Ireland.
Expressions of interest are being invited from suitably qualified and experienced lay and professional persons interested in being appointed to Medical Scientists Registration Board.
The object of the Medical Scientists Registration Board, overseen by the Health and Social Care Professionals Council, will be to protect the public by fostering high standards of professional conduct and professional education, training and competence amongst medical scientists. Registration boards have powers to make Bye-laws. Its functions will include:
- Establishing and maintaining a register of members of the profession of medical scientist
- Deciding on applications for registration and issuing certificates of registration
- Setting the standards of performance and the code of conduct and ethics expected of registrants
- Giving guidance to registrants concerning
- ethical conduct
- practice of the profession
- continuing professional development
- Monitoring the continuing suitability of programmes for the education & training of applicants for registration
- Approving new courses
- Approving qualifications
- Making recommendations with respect to sanctions in Fitness to Practise cases
- With the approval of the Council, conducting research into education & training relating to the practice of the profession
- Maintaining statistical records which must be available for research & planning
- Recognising qualifications gained outside the State in the board’s function of competent authority under Directive 2005/36/EC on the recognition of Professional Qualifications.
The Medical Scientists Registration Board will have collective responsibility to the public in the performance of its duties.
The Board will consist of 13 members (6 professional and 7 non-professional) who will elect a chairperson from amongst themselves.
Applications should be made to the Public Appointments Service.
Appointment to be made by the Minister for Health.
Location of board meetings are in Dublin.
Further information on the State Boards website
Date Board Vacancy Advertised: 30/06/2016
Closing Date for submission of applications: 19/07/2016