Developing a Policy for Graduate, Specialist and Advanced Nursing & Midwifery Practice
The draft policy will present a framework for graduate, specialist and advanced nursing and midwifery practice capable of developing a critical mass of nurses and midwives to address emerging and future service needs including driving integration between services. The overarching principle underpinning the policy is to develop the nursing and midwifery resource in response to patient and service need.
To inform the development of this policy, the Department is interested in receiving the views of nurses, midwives and healthcare professionals in relation to this draft policy. The consultation process will run from 27 March 2017 until 28 April 2017.
Consultation Paper: Developing a Policy for Graduate, Specialist and Advanced Nursing & Midwifery Practice
Please submit your comments and observations on this draft policy via survey monkey https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PM5PJ53
Your comments and observations should address the following:
- What are the main benefits of moving to this model of supporting graduate, specialist and advanced practice? Are there potential benefits to the patient or the service which have not been identified?
- Are there any risks not identified associated with moving to this model?
- In what ways would the competence to capability framework support you in your role as a graduate, specialist, or advanced practitioner?
- Is the system of credentialing envisaged practical? Are there any barriers which should be explored further?
- What are your views on the revised educational model? What benefits and advantages might this create? Are there any challenges not identified in changing this model?
- What service changes or implications are required to achieve the policy? Are there things which would need to change in how your service is managed to enable a model like this to be successful? How should these be addressed?
The consultation will remain open until 28 April 2017. Any queries within the consultation period should be submitted by email to chiefnurseIRE@health.gov.ie
Freedom of Information
All submissions received by the Department are subject to the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act, 2014 and may be released in response to an FOI request.