Public Consultation on a proposal for an EU Directive on the Tobacco Products Directive (TPD)
Full title : -Proposal for a Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on the approximation of the laws, regulations and administrative provisions of the Member States concerning the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco and related products
The Department of Health wishes to have as many views as possible from the public and stakeholders with an interest in the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco and related products.
The European Commission has issued a proposal for a revised Tobacco Products Directive which is available at http://ec.europa.eu/health/tobacco/products/index_en.htm
The Commission has stated that the overall objective of the revision is to improve the functioning of the internal market. In particular, the proposal aims to:
- Update already harmonised areas to overcome Member States’ obstacles to bring their national legislations in line with new market, scientific and international developments e.g. without an update Member States cannot increase the size of health warnings, change their location etc
- Address product related measures not yet covered by the TPD insofar as heterogeneous development in Member States has led to, or is likely to lead to, fragmentation of the internal market e.g. at this stage eight member states have adopted pictorial warnings (Ireland adopting in 2013) and regulations of ingredients differ between Member States.
- Ensure the provisions of the Directive are not circumvented by placing on the market of products not compliant with the TPD.
To inform Ireland’s position, the Department would welcome the views of the public and interested parties on any aspect of the draft proposal including:
- Ingredients and emissions
- Labelling and packaging
- Traceability and security features
- Tobacco for oral use
- Cross border distance sales of tobacco
- Novel tobacco products
- Nicotine containing products
Period of Consultation
Thursday 20th December, 2012 to Wednesday 16th January, 2013.
How to Make your Submission
The Department of Health welcomes submissions on this proposal. Submissions should be forwarded by post to Tobacco Control, Health Promotion Unit, Department of Health, Hawkins House, Dublin 2 or by e-mail to email@example.com
Submissions on this proposal should be submitted on or before 5.30 pm on Wednesday 16th January, 2013