Statement of Strategy 2016 – 2019
In accordance with the provisions of the Public Service Management Act, 1997, the Department of Health has published its new Statement of Strategy 2016-2019, which sets out the Department’s mission, strategic objectives and priority actions for the next 3 year period.
Our new strategy reflects the relevant commitments in the new Programme for a Partnership Government (particularly chapters 5, 6 and 7) and the ongoing reform process.
Our role is to provide strategic leadership for the health service and to ensure that Government policies are translated into actions and implemented effectively. We support the Minister and Ministers of State in their implementation of Government policy and in discharging their governmental, parliamentary and Departmental duties. This includes:
- Leadership and policy direction for the health sector to improve health outcomes
- Governance and performance oversight to ensure accountable and high quality services
- Collaboration to achieve health priorities and contribute to wider social and economic goals
- An organisational environment where, on an ongoing basis, high performance is achieved, collaborative working is valued and the knowledge and skills of staff are developed
The 5 strategic objectives described in the Statement of Strategy are listed below. It is important to note that to one extent or another, these objectives are inter-related and inter-dependent.
5 Strategic Objectives:
- Support people to lead healthy and independent lives
- Ensure the delivery of high quality and safe health and social care
- Create a more responsive, integrated and people-centred health and social care service
- Promote effective and efficient management of the health services
- Develop a high-performing Department to lead and oversee the health and social care sector
Statement of Strategy 2016-2019
Previous Statements of Strategy:
Department of Health Statement of Strategy 2015 – 2017
Department of Health Statement of Strategy 2011-2014
Department of Health & Children: Statement of Strategy 2008 – 2010
Department of Health and Children Statement of Strategy 2005-2007
Department of Health and Children Statement of Strategy 2003 – 2005